"Seven bums and fourteen legs,
a brazen ecstasy which begs
the question some of us are asking -
is Peter Goulding multi-tasking?"

Martin Parker, Editor, Lighten Up Online

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Wonderful wonderful Northampton

I've never been to Northampton and know very little about it except that its in between London and Birmingham and they have a football team called the Cobblers against whom George Best once scored six goals. To the good people of the town, my lack of knowledge is more a reflection of my lack of education than any anonymity of their place of abode.
However, the town has suddenly leapt onto the leaderboard of my Favourite Places in the World after my poem Butterfly got second place in the Humorous section of Northampton Literature Group's annual poetry competition. Compared to serious poetry, there are very few humorous verse competitions around, so well done to the NLG for including it in their annual competitions.
I have tried to permutate airlines and airports but it appears that Northampton lies nowhere near Ryanairland (and connections to and from the town are a bit difficult also) so sadly I have had to decline their offer to attend the prize giving ceremony on June 23rd. But I will be there in spirit.

On the subject of humorous verse, a reminder too that the Boyne Writers Swift Satire competition for poetry and pr*s* closes on Tuesday. Great prize money too, though of course we all do it for art. Email entries are accepted but you'd better get your turbo-powered skates on. Details here

1 comment:

  1. Hooray! Congratulations! Shame you can't get there, I don't know much about Northampton either. I think I surveilled through there once when we were working around Birmingham, and I have memories of a guildhall from a tele programme. Obviously people of taste, anyway.

    ReplyDelete