"Seven bums and fourteen legs,
a brazen ecstasy which begs
the question some of us are asking -
is Peter Goulding multi-tasking?"

Martin Parker, Editor, Lighten Up Online

Monday, December 21, 2009

Christmas songs

Last year, I thoroughly enjoyed Christmas FM (100.3 in the Dublin area)
This year, it has turned me off after a week. Its not so much they repeat the same songs over and over - it seems that "Its a Holly Jolly Christmas" is on every hour - but they are spending far too much time in between songs lecturing us in a patronising way about donating to the Simon Community. A worthy cause, I'm sure everyone agrees, but not one that we should have rammed down our throats for ten minutes at a time. We tune in to hear the songs.
Well, most of them. Have you heard that "Christmas Shoes" thing yet about a child whose mother is "about to meet Jesus" trying to buy a pair of shoes on Christmas Eve to make his momma smile? The ultimate vomit-inducing song of all time.
And, after 20 years, I'm ashamed to say it, but I'm starting to tire of Fairytale in New York!!

2 comments:

  1. No need to be ashamed, I got fed up with it years ago. Fairytale has been flogged to death. For something different why not listen to Dylan's christmas album.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michael, I heard his version of Walking in a Winter Wonderland on the radio and thought the vocals were dreadful! Of course it was fascinating for who it was...
    I'll give it a go though!

    ReplyDelete