"Seven bums and fourteen legs,
a brazen ecstasy which begs
the question some of us are asking -
is Peter Goulding multi-tasking?"

Martin Parker, Editor, Lighten Up Online

Friday, July 1, 2011

Marple Poetry Competition Results

I've never had any success in the Marple Poetry Competition and this year I succeeded in maintaining my unimpressive record.
They have prizes for prose and poetry and they have an award for humorous verse, which is what I enter. Only one winner in this section, no commendeds, so if you're not at the top of the tree, forget it. But congratulations to Chris Banks of Bristol for an expertly contrived villanelle.
There is also a competition for the best 9 poems submitted by one author, to be published in booklet form. I didn't enter this, because frankly I'm a scabby git, but I see that Josh Ekroy features in the commendeds. Josh is a London poet who, as far as I'm aware, is the only person to win the Strokestown Humorous Verse competition (political satire, as it was then) with a non-rhyming poem. That was in 2006 and I've seen his name cropping up regularly ever since, (usually for serious poetry) so well done Josh.

1 comment: