"Seven bums and fourteen legs,
a brazen ecstasy which begs
the question some of us are asking -
is Peter Goulding multi-tasking?"

Martin Parker, Editor, Lighten Up Online

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Ndrek Gjini

At Strokestown on the May Bank Holiday weekend, Eilean ni Chuilleanain at the launch of Cyphers introduced Albanian poet Ndrek Gjini. I have to be honest. My heart sank. I find it hard enough to understand Irish poets. I was hardly going to be enchanted by an Albanian poet.
Just goes to show how much I know.
Ndrek was a breath of fresh air. His poetry is very simple, very easy to understand, very metaphor based and an absolute delight.
He is reading at the June Over the Edge gathering this Friday at the Kitchen @ The Museum at Spanish Arch, Galway where he will launch his first collection The Death of Night.
Get to see him if you can. The irrepressible Dave Lordan will also be there and a host of others. Promises to be a great night. Admission free.

And also in Galway on Saturday, Salmon Poetry present the launch of Witness Trees by Lorna Shaughnessy at the Space Invaders Gallery in Middle Street at 2pm. Salmon has leapt up in my estimation since they have expressed an interest in publishing Peadar O'Donoghue's work. I'd be even more impressed if they decided to publish my own stuff but I suppose I really ought to write something worth publishing first.

No comments:

Post a Comment