"Seven bums and fourteen legs,
a brazen ecstasy which begs
the question some of us are asking -
is Peter Goulding multi-tasking?"

Martin Parker, Editor, Lighten Up Online

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Shadowstalking

I don't feel qualified to do reviews of other people's books. I have never studied poetry and have only lately started to write some serious stuff myself, so I am hardly a major expert on the subject.
On the other hand, I do buy poetry books and if I like a book, I like to recommend it. Shadowstalking by Canadian fellow-blogger Kat Mortensen (contact details on sidebar) reached me eventually after 2 months and I actually enjoyed it so much that I read it in a single sitting.
Kat is very much a wordsmith of the traditional order, crafting most of her poems with a rhyme and rhythm that leaves me dead jealous. She can do funny and she can do sad, often in the same poem and her poetry has a depth that I can only aspire to. A lot of her poems are about death but not in a morbid way - more looking at the inevitable from a variety of different perspectives. And she has a wonderful self-deprecating sense of humour that is utterly charming.
In short, I loved it. If you haven't bought it yet, do so very quickly.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry I missed this earlier, but you're really making me blush! (I need a boost today, so thank you so much!)

    Kat

    ReplyDelete