"Seven bums and fourteen legs,
a brazen ecstasy which begs
the question some of us are asking -
is Peter Goulding multi-tasking?"

Martin Parker, Editor, Lighten Up Online

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Chicane


Made a rare foray to the theatre last night to see the World Premiere of Guna Nua's new play Chicane.

Set in a Dublin lawyer's office, the play has more twists and turns than the back road to Leixlip, some of them, it has to be said, somewhat improbable. My wife didn't like it, mainly because of the use of the c-word, which she deplores. The girl who played Julia fluffed her lines a bit and couldn't keep her hands behind her back even though she was supposed to be handcuffed, but I could put that down to first night nerves.

On the positive side, it was a good rip-roaring yarn, plenty of humour, and I didn't fall asleep, as I normally do. And the actor who plays Ray, Emmet Kirwan, was terrific in the role. Although much of the humour comes from his how're ya, head Dublineze, which is becoming a bit of a cliche at this stage.

But I'd recommend it heartily.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your wife Pete ,I hate Chelsea too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with your wife on the c-word. I would be moved to loathe it on that basis.

    Kat

    ReplyDelete