"Seven bums and fourteen legs,
a brazen ecstasy which begs
the question some of us are asking -
is Peter Goulding multi-tasking?"

Martin Parker, Editor, Lighten Up Online

Thursday, May 27, 2010

World Cup nearly here


God, I love the World Cup, despite the exploits of Handball Henry. As a kid / single man, I'd spend the entire tournament in front of the telly, fill in my wall charts etc.
Nowadays of course, I'm not allowed to do that but its still great fun, particularly wondering who England's scapegoat will be this time around for their failure to get beyond the quarter finals.
Last time around, I did a day by day poetic analysis of the tournament, writing a poem for every game and even for rest days. Haven't decided yet if I'll attempt the same this time around.
Some site in England in 2006 had a "write a poem and win a World Cup shirt" competition. I won an Argentina shirt, as I recall. Hardly wore it - it has a rough patch on the inside of the embroidered crest which irritates my skin...

5 comments:

  1. Ah Peter I was like that too when I was young - Every World Cup, every Olympics. I remember watching the 66 final - yes that's 1966 and being very disappointed. Now much less enthusiasm I'm afraid. Might watch the final.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I remember 1958 when the Northern Irish team reached the quarter finals. No TV though, radio and newspapers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have I told you that my husband has booked his summer holidays around the World Cup? Yeah. That's also around our anniversary and my birthday! (Since Ireland's not in it, say a quick prayer for Denmark, will you?)

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. The World Cup song "Waving Flag" was written by K`naan, a Toronto musician. Yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My first one was 1970, those fuzzy, hazy pictures from the moon of Beckenbauer playing in a sling and Peru and Bonnetti et al.
    This time, I'll be up for Switzerland, for my mam, and Denmark for Kat and Kevin.

    ReplyDelete