"Seven bums and fourteen legs,
a brazen ecstasy which begs
the question some of us are asking -
is Peter Goulding multi-tasking?"

Martin Parker, Editor, Lighten Up Online

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Phoenix Ink 3 Launch

Attended the launch of Phoenix Ink 3 last night.
Dublin 15 writing guru - he hates me calling him that - Pat Quigley was called on to launch the publication and did his usual wonderful job. During the course of the launch he talked about HP Lovecraft who, in my ignorance, I had never heard of. This yet again brought home to me my one big failing - I don't read enough.
The book features a brilliant design by Paul Fegan who kindly did my Flash of Orange cover. If you need a book cover designed, Paul is your only man.
There was a general feeling in the room, as I mingled afterwards, that possibly this book could mark the end of the current series. This is the 4th anthology in four years and the feeling was that perhaps we're all a little bit safe - more or less guaranteed our place in the anthology and so we're not raising our game at all. As Tony Devlin cruelly put it, "Its like Shelbourne - when you're not playing against good quality opposition, you don't improve."
Ideas up for grabs, which may be sorted at the AGM in January, are for an open competition or perhaps a themed anthology...

No comments:

Post a Comment