"Seven bums and fourteen legs,
a brazen ecstasy which begs
the question some of us are asking -
is Peter Goulding multi-tasking?"

Martin Parker, Editor, Lighten Up Online

Friday, December 18, 2009

Boyne Open Mic readings

Despite the dodgy weather, I made it down to Knightsbridge last night to attend the Boyne Writers monthly open mic session. It was my first time at such an event and I enjoyed it immensely, not least for the wide variety of writing genres on view.
Brendan Carey Kinane produced the group's second chapbook 'Racket in the air' for the occasion and showed why he has achieved such success in poetry competitions recently. One poem 'Lough' he told me took a month to write, each word carefully chosen and sought out. This filled me with horror, but gave me some sort of indication as to what you have to do to succeed in poetry.
Also reading was Michael Clemenger who read an emotional passage from his recently published book 'Holy Terrors,' which details in a shocking, but ultimately life-affirming way his life in an industrial school in Tralee. Foolishly I only had about €7 on me, but will buy the book next time I'm in Easons.
I love the whole ethos of Boyne Writers. Meetings and sessions are very organised and structured and, despite the fact they have (I suspect) the highest proportion of top-class writers of any writers' group in the country - Michael Farry, Paddy Smith, Brendan Carey Kinane, Orla Fay, Tom Dredge, Evan Costigan, Caroline Finn, to name but a few - they are still very supportive and encouraging to those of us who aspire...

No comments:

Post a Comment