"Seven bums and fourteen legs,
a brazen ecstasy which begs
the question some of us are asking -
is Peter Goulding multi-tasking?"

Martin Parker, Editor, Lighten Up Online

Saturday, July 23, 2011

What is poetry?

I only found out about the Tullamore Agricultural Show poetry competition on my return from holidays on Tuesday, thanks to Michael Farry, so I sent off my two entries on Wednesday. The entry form was a little confusing but I put Poetry down in the section marked Class (they have Art, Photography, Livestock etc) enclosed a cheque and hoped it would get down for Friday.
Well, it did. I know this because I got a phone call from a committee member on the Thursday, asking me which category I was entering. This kind of puzzled me, as I had attached my two poems and put Poetry on the entry form. What did they think? Aberdeen Angus? Rhode Island Red?
I can only assume my poetry is getting more and more obscure.
Connie Roberts (above - hint, the one with the smaller necklace) is the judge of this one. This is good news, as she would probably have won it herself.

5 comments:

  1. I think it was somebody like John Cage who said, "I have nothing to say and I am saying it, and that's poetry." Does that answer your question. If you are like me the sentence is about as clarifying as your category story above.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps your entry will end up in the poultry section! Flattering the judge is always a good move Peter, indeed Connie would certainly have won it if she had entered! P.S. I didn't enter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I thought Connie could be swayed by mere flattery, Michael, I'd go to town on her!
    I'm presuming the competition is anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Connie RobertsMonday, July 25, 2011

    Yeh can butter me up all yeh want, Mr.Goulding
    --it won't make a bit o' difference :-)

    The Tullamore Show Committee will mail all the entries to me this week. And, yes, indeed, each
    poem will be judged anonymously. The poets' names will not be sent to me.

    Believe me when I say that I will give EACH entry careful consideration. I know what it's like to enter a poetry competition and be on tenterhooks awaiting the results (my most recent, the iYeats, where, alas, I didn't place anywhere). You can only hope that the judge/s
    takes the time to carefully consider your work.

    Best of luck to everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Connie - (my poem's the one with the beak and feathers)

    ReplyDelete