"Seven bums and fourteen legs,
a brazen ecstasy which begs
the question some of us are asking -
is Peter Goulding multi-tasking?"

Martin Parker, Editor, Lighten Up Online

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

RTE John Murray Poetry Competition

This competition was to write a poem in under 20 lines on the subject of 2011.
I was pretty confident my entry, an updated version of September 1913, was a winner, or at least would have to be there or thereabouts. I've just found the podcast of the results show and listened to it. The judges Pat Boran and Mary O'Donnell kept referencing Yeats and even quoted lines from Easter 1916, so I was still pretty confident but, predictable, nada, nyet, nothing. That's what comes of being too cocky.
Winner Michael Ray is unpublished, so well done to him. And I also see the very talented Helena Nolan in there too. Full results and winning poems here.

4 comments:

  1. many thanks for the kind mention Peter, generous as ever, it was a lovely suprise to be Highly Commended and I only heard it by accident, as no notification beforehand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah you're definitely on a roll, Helena. Well done, I believe there was a very sizable entry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He looks like a nice smiley man and I do like the suit and shirt combo. Now I shall go and look at his poem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Really like Helena's too.

    ReplyDelete