"Seven bums and fourteen legs,
a brazen ecstasy which begs
the question some of us are asking -
is Peter Goulding multi-tasking?"

Martin Parker, Editor, Lighten Up Online

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Off for a few days

As part of a combined 50th birthday present for me last December and 25th wedding anniversary for us, this week, uz'r 'eadin' down to Mevagissey (above) on the Cornish Riviera tomorrow for a week. Weather seems promising and there's so much to explore down there - St. Michaels Mount, Lands End, St. Ives and its galleries, the Lizard, Tintagel and St Enodoc's church buried amid the sand dunes where John Betjeman is buried. Also - little known fact - I lived in St. Austell for 3 years, aged 8 to 11 - probably the happiest period of my life - and have never been back, so plenty of opportunity for nostalgia.
I will miss the Poetry Divas in Trim tomorrow night as a result. Knightsbridge Retirement Centre, Coffee Shop 8pm. Four fabulously attractive poets read their wonderful poetry.
I shall also be missing the second of the Poetry Ireland Introductions readings in the Irish Writers Centre tomorrow night at 6.30pm - Eleanor Hooker, Susan Lindsay, Barbara A Morton and JS Robinson. Another four fabulously attractive poets etc etc
Received my invitation to the WOW awards on Friday 17th June in Salthill. Champagne reception, eh?
The 2011 Over the Edge New Writer of the Year competition is open for poets and those writers who don't use line breaks. I have been spectacularly unsuccessful at this in the past. Maybe they should have an Old Writer of the Year competition?
Oh and before I go, you really should buy a copy of Iggy McGovern's Safe House. Can't recommend it highly enough. Pure poetry for pop people.

3 comments:

  1. You probably won't see this in time, but I hope you go to the Minack outdoor theatre. It is fantastic! I do envy you, Cornwall is one of my very favourite places.

    Enjoy!

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kat, yes, the Minack's on the itinerary but not for a performance, sadly! Some location, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is gorgeous, yes. Did you have a good time?

    ReplyDelete