"Seven bums and fourteen legs,
a brazen ecstasy which begs
the question some of us are asking -
is Peter Goulding multi-tasking?"

Martin Parker, Editor, Lighten Up Online

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Francis Ledwidge results

The results of the Francis Ledwidge competition are in:
2010
The Francis Ledwidge Award -
Rachel Hegarty
25, Tuscany Downs, Raheny, Dublin 5
Poem: ‘Lament for Colm Owens’

Second Place Gregory Castle
1205, E. Manhatton Dr., Tempe Arizona, USA
Poem: ‘ Untitled Landscape’

Third Place Orla Martin
Apt. 11, The Mill,Weaver’s Square, Dublin 8
Poem: ‘Europa’

Highly Commended
Betty Cleary, 5, Pine Valley Ave, Rathfarnham Dublin 16
Anthony Keating, 6, Carr Lane Lathom, Ormskirk Lancashire. UK
Gillian Somerville- Large, Ullard, Borris, Co. Carlow.
James Conway, 8, Brighton Gardens Rathgar, Dublin 6
Patrick Devaney, 37, River Crescent Virginia Co. Cavan
Maureen Gallagher, 31, Friar’s Hill, Rahoon, Galway
Ray Mullen, 22, the Dale, Kingswood Heights, Tallaght, Dublin
Patricia O’Callaghan, 80, Moyville, Ballyboden, Rathfarnham, Dublin 16
Betty Keogh, 16, Balfe RoadEast, Walkinstown, Dublin 12
Andrew Jones, Cloughballybeg, Mullagh, Co Cavan

Commended
Mary Melvin Geoghegan, 26, Woodlands, Abbycartron Lane, Longford
Michael Farry, 33, Avondale Drive, Trim, Co. Meath
Gavan Duffy, 18, Ellensborough Close, Kiltipper Road, Dublin 24
Eithne Cavanagh, 9, scrapbook Close, Blackrock, Co Dublin
Tommy Murray, 4 Summerville Road, Trim, Co Meath
Michael Casey, Gervagh, Sandycove Point, Co Dublin
Evan Costigan, 81 Longmeadow, Conyngham Road, Dublin 8
Honor Duff, Farore Cottage, Lisgrea, Virginia, Co Cavan.
Angela T. Carr, 8, Sarsfield Street, Phibsborough, Dublin
Aine Lyons, 94, Avonbeg Gardens, Tallaght, Dublin 24.

Congratulations to the Meath triumvirate of Michael Farry, Tommy Murray and Evan Costigan - fitting that the Royal county should get some recognition - and all three are fine poets.

The only other name I recognise is Orla Martin, who had a poem in Stony Thursday. I don't know her but her namesake works with me in Leixlip, hence the name jumped out at me!

As for myself, I have to admit I'm a bit disappointed neither of my entries made the top 23. They both seemed to me to be really strong (others, of course, may disagree) and I'm starting to think that my stuff doesn't really fit into the accepted competition template. But, hell, I like my poems and I'll keep plugging away.

No comments:

Post a Comment