"Seven bums and fourteen legs,
a brazen ecstasy which begs
the question some of us are asking -
is Peter Goulding multi-tasking?"

Martin Parker, Editor, Lighten Up Online

Monday, November 8, 2010

Ari Up RIP

I'm about three weeks late but I've only just learnt that Ari Up of the punk band The Slits has died of cancer.
I saw the Slits a number of times back in 1977 / 78 supporting The Clash together with Subway Sect. They always fascinated me as a band because I think they were the first all-girl punk band. I see by Ari's date of birth, she would have been only just turned 15 when I first saw her! They had little commercial success but their first album contained a great single called Typical Girls, which I still find myself humming even today. The video is up on You Tube - filmed in a bandstand in a park.
Another one gone now...

1 comment:

  1. Kevin and I often remark on how we were under a misapprehension about the ages of most of the members of bands we once followed. We thought they were so much older than ourselves and it turns out they were almost the same age!

    I never saw the Slits, but I recognize the name.
    We can assume Ari would pleased to know that someone felt their songs were memorable.

    Kat

    ReplyDelete